Friday 11 April 2014

The La Carnita Experience


On my tenth restaurant experience I decided to try out La Carnita in Toronto located at 501 College Street.  I was in the mood for Mexican food and decided it was a better option verses my second option, Grand Electric. I heard good reviews and in all honesty, it was delicious. I loved the graffiti and the street art throughout the restaurant, it definitely gave the restaurant some character. The layout is long, deep and noisy. I would not recommend if you’re trying to socialize and have an in-depth conversation.  



I started off with a margarita which was served on the rocks, all margaritas should be! They don’t add the salted rim, instead its placed within the margarita. The margarita was quite amazing and surely I had more than one.

The server suggested ordering three tacos per person to start. She explained the Monday La Carnita Taqueria daily special, which I got as it sounded amazing. On Monday’s its the mixed mushroom empanada, which is packed with Swiss chard, queso fresco, grilled corn, truffle crema and of course mixed mushrooms topped with a chipotle sauce. 



I also got the beef cheek taco, which is ancho braised cheek with lime avocado, green cabbage, pickled jalapeño and crispy shallots.  


Lastly I got the carnita taco. It is a confit pork taco with a jalapeño sauce topped with a mango salsa, queso añejo and cilantro. 

I was surprisingly full after but, ensured there was still room for dessert. I saw they had churros and couldn’t keep them off my mind throughout the course of the meal. You get three long and thick churros that are lightly tossed in sugar and cinnamon served with an in-house cajeta sauce. The highlight of my evening by far. 




The food was great and will be going back for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment